Painting. Painting. And more painting.


We’ve been living in a hotel for more than a week. It feels like we’ve been here much longer than that, though. It’s all been a blur. We checked into the hotel the day the movers drove off with all our belongings. The next day, we enjoyed a nice day of swimming in the hotel pool and visiting with friends, but Martin and the younger two were feeling a bit under the weather.

Initially, the folks at the clinic (where we took Jaz since his asthma flared up) thought it was a shared upper respiratory infection. But within 48 hours, all three of them got worse: high fever, body aches, coughing, and looking like death warmed over. All of them were miserable, but Jaz was the worst of them. His asthma was raging, and it was scary enough for us to take him to the clinic a second time. That’s when they tested and confirmed the illness they were all sharing was the flu: specifically, the strain that was not included in this year’s vaccine.

For whatever reason, Miss C and I stayed completely healthy and energetic, so between running the necessary errands (which included me going in for work to turn in my badge and laptop) and going about our day, we were also nursing the others. Bringing them drinks. Giving them the necessary meds. Keeping water in the humidifier. Putting wet washcloths on their foreheads. Calling the front desk to ask them to bring fresh sheets or towels multiple times a day.

Of course, we hated seeing our family so sick, but there were some really sweet moments, like watching Miss C read the same book over and over to the younger two because that’s all they wanted to hear. Or watching HGTV for five hours straight with Jaz sleeping upright on me so he could breathe easier. It’s not often my three-year-old will let me hold him like that, but for that time, that’s the only place he wanted to be.

Swimming. Visit with friends. And sleeping.


Fortunately, the fevers started to break by the middle of the week. Martin was the first to feel better. He wasted no time jumping out of bed, racing to the home improvement store, and purchasing enough tubs of paint to freshen up the whole house.

We worked until late this evening. But everything got DONE.

Our house is painted.

Our items are shipped.

Our bags are packed.

Our flights are confirmed.

As hectic and crazy this past week has been, it is finally over and we are on our way!

We have to give a shout-out to Grandma Linda, who flew out to DC from Cincinnati on Christmas Day. She got a room in the same hotel as us, and was there to help with the children and spend time with us. That was such a blessing. There is no way we would have accomplished anything if she wasn’t there. The kids loved having her there and she took such good care of them as they healed up and  tolerated life in very close quarters.

We also a very, very grateful for our neighbors Marlene and Bob. Especially Bob, who showed up to help Martin paint whenever he noticed our van in the driveway. He helped Martin make repairs, and agreed to watch the house and make sure our final garbage pickup happened. They are really awesome people, and we are going to miss seeing them every day.

2 thoughts on “Blur

  1. Julie- So sorry to read that Martin and two of the kids were sick! Just the thing you did NOT need before departure! It’s Monday morning here in the States as I write this, so you’re probably across the ocean by this point. Can’t wait to hear more about your family adventures! God bless!

  2. Susan, thank you so much for always leaving such lovely comments here! I think the whirlwind is slowing down a little now that we’re over here. Still pinching myself to make sure it’s not all a dream!

Comments are closed.